October 7, 2008

Dr. Massart

Dr. Mark Massart


Dr. Massart is my chiropractor. I've been going to him for about 2 years. He helped me through this past year of recovery from my hysterectomy. He also helped me through my back pain before I really knew what was going on with my adenomyosis. Since my back was a big part of my pain -(my uterus was huge and sitting on my sciatic nerve -I had a tilted uterus and was in so much pain I couldn't walk at times) I was going to him a lot right before surgery and after. I couldn't have recovered so well without him. He is amazing and talented. He's not only a great chiropractor -but he truly cares for his patients. He is always smiling, and goes out of his way to help his patients. He went out of his way on a Sunday right after I had surgery, and I was in a lot of pain, and he came into the office and met Toby and I there to adjust me. I was placed in a weird position for surgery -and the surgery took longer than expected -by a good hour. I had a pinched nerve in my neck from that and it was making my nerves in my arm act up really bad. They were burning and I couldn't handle the pain anymore. I went in weekly for a good six months to help my back and neck heal. He really is a blessing to me. Yesterday I went in for a tune-up and he wasn't there -they said he was out sick and didn't know when he would be coming back. This worried me, because he is never gone. He is one the healthiest people I know. So as I was getting adjusted by the other chiro in the office -he told me Dr. Massart has lung cancer. I was shocked. I would have never guessed that he would be the one to get cancer. Cancer knows no bounds. It has taken the life of my uncle Craig who had brain cancer -and was another one of those healthy, fit people you would never think would come down with it. It took the life of my cousin Jeff who was only in his early 20's. It took the life of both of my grandfathers and two great grandfather's. It has affected some of my closest friends. It's all around me -I have had dreams of getting it myself, or Toby or my children. 4 people in my family passed away from it in a very short time from one another. I think if you experience that much cancer of loved ones -and you see that much suffering in a short amount of time -it wears on you. And now to hear this news -I am not going to lie -it really hit me hard. I kept my composure as best as I could -while I was getting adjusted. The minute I got out to my van -I broke down. The tears came down hard -and I think it was just a release of past losses in my family of loved ones, and knowing what Dr. Massart is going through right now. I pray for him and his family. I pray that all of the kind things and ways he has healed others, that he will be blessed for this service he has so kindly provided. That he will be taken care of the way he has taken care of so many patients every day. With a smile on his face and wanting to know how he could help. Every time I went in to see him he said: "What's the good word today Mandy?" He always helped me think of my blessings through the pain I was in. With all the doctors I saw this past year -he was my favorite. I always left feeling uplifted mentally and physically. He is a wonderful doctor and friend. He never made you feel rushed, and he never hurried -he always took his time and made sure things were done right. I look forward to seeing him again -if anyone can beat cancer, it's him. He has an amazing positive attitude and knows how to stay healthy mentally and physically. Thank you doesn't seem like enough for all he has done for me. You are in my prayers Dr. Massart!

Quotes by Lance Armstrong:

“If children have the ability to ignore all odds and percentages, then maybe we can all learn from them. When you think about it, what other choice is there but to hope? We have two options, medically and emotionally: give up, or Fight Like He_ _!"

“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.”

3 comments:

tharker said...

You're so right, Cancer really doesn't discriminate. I am so sorry to hear about this Mandy.

::lindsay said...

I'm so sorry Mandy.

Ray Lucas said...

my cousin Mark Massart passed away peacefully with family at his side on October 16th, 2008