April 29, 2009

My Grandma ~ Mellie Maxine Winder

Today is my grandma Winder's birthday. I was so blessed to have my grandparents live next door to me. They were big influences in my life; and I miss them every day. I have so many memories of my grandma Winder...amazing wife and mother, incredible homemaker, cook, gardener, seamstress. She lived her life close to the Spirit and loved to see her children and grandchildren doing their various activities and talents and served those around her. She loved her family and loved to support them in anything they were doing. She loved flowers and dishes...she had a ton of dishes which she liked to use during meal times. She loved to look pretty, had her hair and make-up done, nails painted, her pretty jewelry on, perfume. Loved to be going somewhere with my grandpa and visit with her loved ones and friends. She lived the gospel and was a great example. She could get many things accomplished all in one day. She supported and encouraged my piano practice, would sit and listen to me play, taught me through example. I was blessed to live with her for sometime during my teenage years, it taught me a lot about being a wife and a mother and being a good person period. She was the only one that would call me by my real name..Amanda. She enriched my life; and continues to do so even though she is at rest now. I love her and miss her; miss being around her, and look forward to the day where I can see her again.

2 comments:

Jarod and Tanya Rollins said...

Thanks for your post Mandy, I love it. I think about Grandma often and miss her. I think about how wonderful she was-everything you said was true!

Kathy’s Korner said...

Great post. She was a great example. It was a sad day when the next generation (mine) realized that we were then ones who needed to bring the pies and rolls to church socials. She and her generation really set a high standard in homemaking skills for the rest of us to follow. Let alone the fact thay she and the rest of her friends were such a good spiritual examples to the rest of us.