March 30, 2012

Jaron's Poem on Running










All lined up and ready to go,
Such adrenaline it gives me when the starter gun raises
One more heart stopping second and...
Pop it goes!
In a blitz everyone runs, trying to get a good position.
Right in the middle of the race the second lap,
Tiredness and exhaustion sets in,
Yet I keep on bounding for the end,
My legs feel like collapsing,
My heart feels like stopping,
Almost to the end,
100 meters away,
Should I slow down?
Should I stay in on my pace?
None of the above....
I push harder than ever before
Surpassing my unsurpassable limit
Finally at the finish,
Smiling with joy
Some may ask why?
Why do you do this?
Why do you enjoy it so much?
I say to them, I enjoy pushing myself beyond my limits and proving to myself I can finish better every time I run and compete.
It's horrible but so great at the same time.  I feel the most happiest and alive when I am running.
It's peace, happiness and pain all in one.
I love the pain and I love the feeling it gives me even more when I push myself and accomplish my goals.

He turned this poem into his Language Arts teacher as part of an assignment.
When I read it today, it made me cry - because Jaron explains how he feels about one of his greatest loves and joys in life which is running.  I am grateful he finds such joy in running and that he can draw on that talent for peace, and happiness in his life.  He is definitely his happiest when he is competing in Cross Country and Track.

No comments: